Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hello Kitty Project Part II

This is the bottom right panel with Kitty saying,"Dream Big!"
A sketch that I did.
In this entry, I just want to mention a little about the process it took me to paint this project. It was something I put a lot of time and energy into not only thinking about how the mural would look, but what colors I would use, brushes and style. It was kind of an intensive process, but I went from my initial concept art which I always do first. It is my policy, when doing artwork for someone, that I present viable ideas and present the best possible solutions to layout and design. There were a few moments that I thought I might be over thinking things. As the design process went for this project, I tried to maintain regular updates with the persons I was painting this mural and give them a brief progress report. I think this is important to communicate anytime you are doing artwork for someone. Inclusion helps to provide new ideas and clarity, when obstacles sometimes obscure what needs to be done.
This concept drawing measures 72" x 40"  cut into 6 pieces.



I had to wait for the canvases that were ordered to arrive, before I could begin painting. Even, after I received the canvases, I waited a day so that I could finish my overall drawings. I wanted to make sure the mural was going to be doable. I took time to inspect the canvases, and it worried me a little that the horizontal alignment was a little off due to the folds of the canvas in each corner. After a bit of adjusting and a deep breath, I felt like it would be okay to begin transferring the images.


My first thought about transferring the images was to use a Conte' crayon, because I didn't have any graphite. That was a bad idea, and a bit messy. Beyond the cumbersomeness of the crayon, I was about to opt for oil pastel, but that wouldn't work either. The solution, which turned out to be a lifesaver in productivity was old carbon paper I had been given. Having the carbon paper made it super easy for me to trace over my drawings and get a light impression on the canvas. One thing is for certain, and that was drawing and redrawing  kept me very busy. It took me a couple of hours to get everything transferred.

Images of Iron Man Kitty and Halo Kitty transferred to canvas with carbon paper (Click to see larger)  This was one of my favorite things to draw for this mural.