Monday, March 19, 2012

Inking of you.

The Silver Surfer- 10" x 14" ink on paper by Kirk McConnell after Jack Kirby
I think I might have mentioned in a previous entry that I have started drawing again and inking. When I was a boy, I learned to draw looking at old comic books done by Jack Kirby, Joe Kubert and other famous artists. This piece shown above is something I did based on a photocopy of the Silver Surfer drawn originally by Jack Kirby. When I made a copy it was from 1" x 3" black and white picture I had found in an old Previews catalog. In this drawing, which still needs to be cleaned up some, was done by using a grid, which I have no problems working from to get my desired effect. Eventually this will be a mural I will put on a wall when I finally own my own home. When I assembled this and worked from a grid, I first had numbered each square on the copy, then cut and pasted the pieces randomly on a small sheet of paper so the drawing did not look anything like the original, but more like a puzzle. After doing this I took a larger sheet of paper and graphed out my grid and numbered it in order. It was probably more work than I needed to make for myself, but I like mentally exercises that stimulate perception and keep me sharp. Drawing this was a little bit challenging, but the results one sees are positive. Below are some other recent drawings I have done for practice.

Select Poses for practice by Kirk McConnell
A magic elven lady by Kirk McConnell after Steve Beaumont

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Constructive feedback is always welcomed.