Monday, March 19, 2012

The Joys of Cartooning

Superkiid (c) by Kirk McConnell 2011 after Christopher Hart
One of the things I enjoy doing is cartooning. Cartooning is the means to let my imagination be unleashed to create whimsical and fun pictures. In this blog entry I have place some pictures I have drawn after having studied artwork from Christopher Hart's books. They are modified to my liking, but follow in the steps Hart used to draw his cartoons. I have drawn each of these on 4" x 6" note cards. I also draw on 5" x 8" note cards, too.

I started to draw these last year as a means to show kids how to draw, and to build up a small collection of drawings I can use to make and sell to passing people at some of the little art gigs I attend. 
Fantastic Girl (c) by Kirk McConnell 2011

Zapster (c) by Kirk McConnell 2011
 Sometimes I find cartooning much easier than drawing comic book characters, although I certainly draw those well, also. I am actually starting to get back into pencil and ink drawing and visual storytelling. Often I am influenced by such artists like Hal Foster, Joe Kubert, Barry Windsor Smith, John Byrne, and many more. When I have some pencil and inking completed I will post them in a new entry for readers to see. My desire is to have a portfolio I can submit to various comic book companies or advertising and marketing departments to acquire gainful and prosperous work. I feel that my talent is very underutilized and I have been doing all sorts of jobs through the last decade and a half, and not getting to pursue what I love doing. I have been out of work for a long time now, so I have every opportunity to push and challenge myself to get things done artistically. I don't want to make excuses for myself anymore.

 
Envy (c) by Kirk McConnell 2011
 When I draw these pictures, it seems to take little effort, and I have a lot of fun making them. Often, when I have the extra money, I will make laser copies on card-stock paper and give as gifts to friends as appreciation for help or a kindness shown.  

I don't consider myself to be great, but I know people like my drawings. I am thankful for those who have encouraged me to not give up on drawing over the years. I feel a bit rusty as I mentioned I have done so many things except what I really like to do which is draw. I am starting to realize that if I am truly serious about what I want to do, then I must commit more time to drawing and draw until I cannot see straight anymore. One person recently told me it is like a musician who plays piano. They do not become great over night. Often, these musicians must practice daily for hours upon hours and keep practicing until they get their skills and song right. 
Neutron Boy (c) by Kirk McConnell
I think I used to draw a lot, but somewhere I got sidetracked. I lost my confidence too. But like the superhero who is sometimes kicked to the ground by villains who exploit his or her weaknesses, he or she rises back up to fight and defeat the enemy. Life can sometimes feel like a super villain. Sometimes life kicks me to the ground, but I get back up. I keep fighting. I don't give up. Somehow, I get this strength and repose to continue, to find balance and not let life get the better of me. (You can click on an image to see a larger version.)
Trixie (c) by Kirk McConnell 2011

I am a Green Lantern fan. This is one take on GL. 2011

Mythos (c) by Kirk McConnell 2011
Spiderman. I am a huge fan. Just a quick sketch by me in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Constructive feedback is always welcomed.