Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday is for Superheroes or Some Drawings I have done.

These drawings are some of my inspirations from superheroes I like. I have read and drawn pictures from books like How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema or cartooning books by Christopher Hart. There are definitely influences in the way I draw. Early on in my teens I was greatly influenced by John Byrne, Jerry Ordway and others.

I have always had a passion for drawing, and I love comics. I am learning how to draw storyboards as a means to helping me tell stories visually, and to acquire more confidence in my drawing abilities. These shown here are all from different points in my life, and not shown in order. I have been growing more as an illustrator, and know that there are idiosyncrasies in the way I draw. Something I am trying to have more of  when I draw is discipline. Without discipline, inconsistency rules the day.

An interesting thin you might like to know is that two inked drawings of Batman and Superman are scaled drawings of which I drew from 1 inch squares and a grid. Jerry Ordway has been one of my favorite artists, and I wanted to have something that was in honor of his work.

The drawing of Wolverine is just a sketch I did, and was from a time I was a really big fan of the X-Men and Wolverine titles from Marvel Comics. I am more of a fine artist than a comic book artist, but a dream fulfilled would be to draw characters I love from the titles I enjoy reading. If someone from Marvel asked me to draw, I would love to draw the Fantastic Four or Thor. If Someone from DC Comics asked me to draw for them, I would have to say, Green Lantern, Superman, Batman or a related title. What I would really love to do is draw covers. I will eventually put samples of what I can in that regards on here later.

Below, I have also included some gestural drawing and action poses which I use to warm up when I draw or try to visualize poses. When drawing, it is important to pay attention to what you see around you. Sometimes I forget details, so I try to recreate from photos and less from inside my head. With that said, let it be known also, that I have a very vivid and healthy imagination, too. 

The Spiderman picture and the super kid drawings below are just some studies I did from looking at Christopher Hart art books.

Thanks for being with me and checking out my artwork. See you next time.


-K.



"Batman" After Jerry Ordway.
by Kirk McConnell

"Superman" After Jerry Ordway.
by Kirk McConnell


A sketch of Wolverine.
by Kirk McConnell

A gesture drawing for warm-ups.
by Kirk McConnell


A simple character drawing of Spiderman
by Kirk McConnell after Hart.

An action pose.
by Kirk McConnell


Various superhero action poses.
by Kirk McConnell

Two superhero poses.
by Kirk McConnell


A super kid
by Kirk McConnell after Hart.

Two basic heroic poses.
by Kirk McConnell