Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Graphic Designs and Faith. Part I

My new business card (in progress) (c) 2012























(Above) Okay. This is a rendering I did in a photo program I use. I am inspired by Alex Ross (part of his poster of the Justice League in the background,) who is a great comic book art illustrator. In a way this is an homage to his style art. He is number one on my top ten artists I like. I have had my influences in art and design. Perhaps I will blog about this in another entry, one that can do more justice to his artwork and others.







[click on any picture to see larger.]
 (Below) are several examples of my graphic design art. I used to have a professor in college who dubbed me as an eclectic designer. Initially, I took offense at his comments, but have later come to appreciate his words to me. I am a bit here and a bit there sometimes. When I try to be too consistent, It seems I fall short, so I just do not try to be anything but myself and make things I like to look at. I think most artists and designers would agree on this, at least in principle. Much of the design I do is just to keep my skills up to date, but I make things to celebrate occasions or designs as a means of encouraging others. I am not very objective, but sometimes I try to be. I am more subjective, yet methodical.

My New Year design (c) Kirk McConnell


 
 (Below Left) This piece is something I did to honor and remember all the soldiers or persons serving in the military. I used green army men to represent our soldiers (They can be USAF, USMC or USN), and a little bit of type juxtaposed so that the main focus is just remembering those who served. I am pleased with this design, and hope it honors those who are serving.
My Memorial Day 2011 piece (c) Kirk McConnell



 (Below) In 2001, I originally made this design to commemorate what transpired on September 11, 2001. It is a message of hope and the call for Americans to become united. War is an ugly thing. In the ten years that have since passed, those nations that would do terror still against the banner of freedom have sought to do more harm, and we must ever be vigilant against such tyranny and fanaticism. Stand your ground USA.  Design Revised, 2011(c)

Solidarity by Kirk McConnell (c)2001
  (Below) The name says it all. Jesus is my Lord and Savior. This piece I did was a reminder to me, and hopefully and encouragement to others. It is loosely based on a design done in the 1980's by Living Epistles. I always loved wearing t-shirts they designed. This is an homage to that creative spirit and desire to share Jesus with others.
Savior (homage to Living Epistles) by Kirk McConnell 2011
 Much of the artwork or designs I do has this element. I want to glorify God in the artwork I do, or not all.  Much of this type of design I make is to encourage other brothers and sisters in Christ. I hope if you are reading this you are encouraged, too.
by Kirk McConnell, rev. (c) 2011
 (Below) This piece speaks loudly to me. More so, now, that I am reading the book of Joshua. We are all on a road in life. This is my road. I believe it is straight and narrow. If you are a believer in Jesus, then you won't look left or right, but keep moving straight ahead until you reach the goal. I do not apologize for my preachiness. It is who I am. Whether one believes or does not believe in Jesus. We all serve somebody. 
Testimony by Kirk McConnell (c) 2011
 (Below) I made this for my niece as a T-shirt design at Christmas. I think she liked it. It was double stacked as a skyscraper with one upside down and the bottom piece upside correct. The words represent the windows of the skyscraper. But my message to my niece was to always remember her faith, to have hope, and to always love. 
Just what it says, by Kirk McConnell (c) 2011
 (Below) Love one another, this is what it says in the design. I am basing this on scripture from the word written in First John 4: 7 -8. If you want to know if someone is of God, know them by their love for others. The design itself is just simple colors, line, and rhythm that I constructed while listening to the Tron: Legacy Soundtrack.
Love One Another by Kirk McConnell (c) 2011
  Tis  a logo I made for myself at one time.
K-Fish logo by Kirk McConnell (c) 2011



(Below) This is a logo I designed for a friend of mine who is a hair stylist, and a good one at that. He doesn't hear that often enough I think, but he is excellent. The design represents hair and comb and the initial of my friend's last name. This is an homage to Jimmy.
Logo by Kirk McConnell rev.(c) 2011
   

(above) This is an homage piece to Daft Punk, masters of electronic music. You might have heard some of their music in Tron: Legacy, but they are also known for other things like Interstella 5555. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is one of the songs Daft punk is really well known for performing.
 
 (Left) This is a design I made for a magnet, to always remind me of Gods great love for us. For the Christian, Jesus is the focal point of one's life. Religion can only take you so far, that is why there are so many crazies in the world. It is also why there are so many atheists, but I am not one to judge. I know what I believe regardless of what the world says. I suppose if I lived in another country, I would change the colors to show where I was from, yet continuing to keep Jesus first.
 (Right) a design I made using Illustrator. I have grown up most of my life seeing birds of paradise around my home. This plant is the inspiration for making this simple but lovely design.


[click on any picture to see larger.]

Birds of Paradise, by Kirk McConnell (c) rev. 2011
(Below) Another piece that serves as a reminder to me of the nature of my life I walk in Christ guided by the Holy Spirit. One might ask me how I can believe in a God I cannot see, but my response is that nothing is impossible for God, but I also say, "you can feel the wind, and know its presence. You cannot see the wind, but know it is there in your midst." As I walk daily in my relationship I realize and am reminded that I must decrease and Jesus must increase if there is to be peace in my heart and with others. 
Encouragement to my friends.
 

This is my Sci-Fi Book Club. Each character represents a person in our group or subjects we like.
Love by Design-by Kirk McConnell (c) 2011

Celebrating Independence by Kirk McConnell (c) 2011


To be continued. More graphic design to be posted in Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Constructive feedback is always welcomed.